Skip to main content

Importance of Prop 8

Article from Manteca Bulletin-

Everything your kids need to know about marriage they can learn in kindergarten


Dennis Wyatt
Managing Editor

Depending upon your perspective, you may view the battle over Proposition 8 on the Nov. 4 state ballot as a moral issue, a religious issue or a civil rights issue.

But there is one thing for sure. It is definitely a political issue since it is on the election ballot.

Which brings us to a blessed event - or unblessed event if you are for Proposition 8 - that took place at San Francisco City Hall on Friday.

Eighteen kindergarten students took a field trip to City Hall to toss rose petals at their teacher's wedding. Their teacher happened to be lesbian and was marrying her partner. One of the public school kindergarteners was even sporting a "No on Proposition 8" button.

So much for state laws banning kindergarten through 12th grade teachers from promoting political views in a classroom setting.

Actually, Creative Arts Charter School teacher Erin Carder had no idea that her students were coming. The educator playing fast and loose with politics was the school's interim director Liz Jaroslow who was approached with the idea for the field trip by a parent of one of the students.

So how did Jaroslow justify the field trip academically as well as being within the parameters of not pushing a political viewpoint within a classroom setting?

Jaroslow told the San Francisco Chronicle that, "It really is what we call a teachable moment. I think I'm well within the parameters."

That "teachable moment" as Jaroslow defined it was about Proposition 8 being a civil rights issue.

Funny thing about that since the U.S. Supreme Court certainly hasn't made that the case. So it is simply her perspective of what Proposition 8 is about which definitely makes it political because the highest court in this land hasn't decided the score on same-sex marriage. And until the court does, it is a political question left to the states.

Rest assured the San Francisco Unified School Board that is hell-bent on getting rid of its JROTC programs won't do a thing about the incident. Actually, the state should withhold the average daily attendance payment for the 18 kids for that day. It would be a symbolic move at best but at least someone in Sacramento would be on record as being interested in keeping the indoctrination of political views out of the classroom curriculum for kindergarten through 12th graders.

Now an argument could be made that the parents had no problem with it so why should anyone else? Do we really want a school system where parents in the majority can alter the rules because they reflect their views?

Yes, young kids reflect their parents' values hence the No on Proposition 8 button worn by the student. The girl's "mothers", by chance, are wedding each other in two weeks, which means they believe it is a civil rights issue and not a political issue.

Which is exactly where the rub comes.

How come those who favor same sex-marriage can inflict their will on the children of those parents who don't support same-sex marriage?

Friday's incident plays right into the argument of the Yes on 8 campaign. A campaign spokesman called it an, "overt indoctrination of children who are too young to have an understanding of its purpose."

It also underscores the group's argument - which some proponents have dismissed as not being the case - that children will learn about same-sex marriage in school.

The California Education Code allows schools to offer comprehensive sex education. In doing so, though, they must "teach respect for marriage and committed relationships."

Parents, of course, can excuse their child from all or part of the instruction. It should be noted parents of two kids in the class did just that which meant their children were sent to a first grade class during their classmates' 90-minute field trip.

It also should be noted that both the teacher and her new spouse have participated in the campaign against Proposition 8. After their wedding, they traveled around San Francisco in a motorized trolley car with "Just Married" and "Vote No on 8" banners.

It gets better. Jaroslow also told the Chronicle, "As far as I'm concerned, it's not controversial for me" in reference to same sex-marriage. Then she added the caveat that indicated she knew she was more than just pushing the envelope as a pubic schools educator in noting, "It's certainly an issue I would be willing to put my job on the line for."

Jaroslow's remarks don't give you a lot of warm fuzzies knowing that you can't trust educators to tow the line when it comes to keeping politics out of the confines of the classroom.

And it certainly gives the Yes on 8 - the effort to define marriage as being only between a man and a woman - a lot of fodder in the remaining 22 days until the election.

To contact Dennis Wyatt, e-mail dwyatt@mantecabulletin.com.

There is one error in this article- the class was first grade. The other side has been claiming all along that the education debate is null and schools will not be forced to teach homosexuality to kids. However, the truth is that schools won't be able to stop individuals like Jaroslow from bringing it into our schools. Gay activists will not be satisfied until it is a part of our daily life and given equal stance with normal marriage.
Everyone will be affected if prop 8 fails. The other side doesn't even get my side. They are guilty of the same intolerance that they are claiming I have. It absolutely scares me that my children and society will be told that this union is totally equal to marriage between man and woman. We do not know yet the implications that this will have on society. Please vote and support YES on 8.


Comments

Chatter Mama said…
When my oldest son was in kinder his teacher read him a book called, "My two Mommies." Then they watched a little video about how a boy named Brian had two daddies and how they loved each other just like everyone elses parents did. There was even a picture of them giving each other a small kiss. Apparently the school can teach about homosexuality, but saying the words, "In God we trust" from the flag salute is banned. We home school now!
Chatter Mama said…
PS: Not sure if you know who I am, but I am your older sister, Kashann's, friend (Lisa). I lived just down the road from you out in Pasco. In fact I taught you swimming lessons! It's been fun reading about your wonderful family.

Popular posts from this blog

Speedy Gonzales and the Black Stretchy Pants

Tues April 6 started as any other day. We woke up and went to a doctors appointment for the girls. That afternoon when I got home I was starving. I ate way too much and then soon got a headache that I blamed on the chocolate dessert that I ate. After resting for a while the phone rang and it was a neighbor who started off the phone call saying "I was hoping that you wouldn't answer because you would be at the hospital. I laughed at her and said no way I have at least two more weeks left. After the phone call about 6:30 Dave told me our goat had had a baby but had died so we called all the kids out and told them about it and we buried it. Then we had a late dinner and put the kids to bed. About 5 minutes later I had a contraction. I thought weird and Dave told me it was just goat sympathy pains. So as I had a few more sporadic contractions I convinced myself that it was just braxton hicks because there was no way that they were "real." I sat down and watched AI

Finally some pictures

Hooray we have new windows! The installers left this morning and we now have 5 beautiful vinyl windows and one of them is a bay window. We are taking advantage of the tax credit for energy efficient windows and hoping that we can stay a little warmer this winter. So all day yesterday we had no windows in our house and at the end of the day our house was full of flies. Thank goodness that global warming has taken a vacation in CA because it has been a burning 75 degrees the last 2 weeks. Of course it happens to be the weeks that my kids are in swimming lessons so they have been freezing. Yesterday one of Daves work colleagues came by to look at our goats. Seeing that we know nothing about them except what I have found googling, this guy is a definite expert. He told we should butcher them soon or sale them as they are ready. If it was a matter of me being ready they would have been butchered 2 weeks after we got them. They have been a real pain in the neck. I have gotten used
Yesterday the boys had a school holiday so Dave took a day off and we headed for the mountains. My awesome husband loves to ski and spent many hours on the slopes, but that was all before he married me. I would love for him to ski but life happens with a family and budgets exist and it makes skiing a hard hobby to maintain. Plus we spent about 3.5 yrs in Minnesota where you get lots of snow but not a single ski hill in sight-what a waste of snow. The last couple years, I have tried harder to give my husband chances to ski. We even went out about 3 years ago and purchased all the gear at a rental store going out of business. And I close my eyes as I see how much we pay, tell myself it is all worth it, and then smile. (Remember I am cheap so skiing just wouldn't naturally be on my radar.) This year for Christmas I gave my husband 2 lift tickets purchased for a great deal at Costco. First of all, I am used to spending lots of money at Costco and that way I wouldn't stress